Re: power supply questions

Original poster: "Rick W" <potluck-at-xmission-dot-com>

  > 1st: I only have one variac to controll the main HV transformer.
  > Currently I use it in standard configuration and additional
  > inductive ballast to limit the current. By means of that I
  > experience a lack of output voltage due to the voltage drop in
  > the ballast / variac. Can one use the variac to controll the
  > current ( in series ) WITHOUT using one to controll voltage?
  > Would that give a voltage gain?

I'm using SCRs instead of ballast. Works well but it can get involved in
construction.
I can set the maximum current draw allowed "on-the-fly". Thing is that as
voltage is increased and current goes above the "max current setting" the
SCRs fire later allowing less current draw. So I think the "power transfer"
is about the same once the max setting is reached no matter what the voltage
is. When that happens I crank back the variacs to the point max current was
reached.

Rick W.
Salt Lake