Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

 > >John's empirical spark length formula of 1.7 sqrt (power) is based on
 > >xformer input power not the power delivered thru the spark gap. Is this

 > I am not familiar with this formula.Provide me with link/more info .

 > >If so, seems like1940 watts at the spark gap could mean
 > >3000W xformer input power

This is John Freau's equation that is mentioned frequently in the group.  I
don't have a link.  A search might provide one.  I think it is based on
transforer input power (in VA) and don't know if there are caveats such as a
specific group of transformers.  I'm still learning.

 > Hey wait a minute!
 > If PT losses 34 % of a real power,than it means it is mature for garbage
!
 > -Rik

I'm sorry, I meant 3000VA instead of watts and this is probably before
ballast for the PT.  I have no experience with PT and yes there is little
resistive loss and little leakage flux but there is still the current
limiting ballast.

Gerry R
Ft Collins, CO