Re: New SSTC Topology ready for release . . . up to 30MHzoperation (tested successfully)

Original poster: "Gavin Dingley" <gdingley-at-ukf-dot-net>

Hi Richard,
are you referring to stochastic resonance, where a signal is amplified by
noise power. In this proven theory a signal of a certain frequency will
resonate in a certain power density of noise. This theory was first proposed
to describe Ice Ages, where the only thing that had the same period of the
Ice Age "cycle" was an astronomical mechanism (can't remember what exactly
it was, may have been a binary star?). Due to the fact that the influence of
such an astronomical system would be two small to account for such dramatic
weather changes, it was thought that some kind of amplification or resonance
was taking place. The theory goes that these weak perturbations were
"amplified" by the gaussian noise density of random weather patterns, which
were of just the right "power" for resonance at that frequency. Stochastic
resonance has been applied to other things as well, including the extraction
of weak signals buried in noise. In this case you alter the power of the
noise electronically so that the signal is amplified. Also it has been
suggested that nature uses this as well. When we are straining to hear
something, the blood in our ears is raised to generate the right noise level
to "amplify" the sound. I'm not a physicist or mathematician, but this is
the gist, and about as much as I understand.

Cheers,

Gavin