Skin depth (again) was: Re: Newbie with questions...

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

At 10:01 AM 9/12/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>Also, after finding that the resonant frequency is around the 700-800 Khz
>range (High enough to cause the skin effect in a human), I've consistently
>drawn sparks about 3 to 3.5 inches long off it with my fingers.

Oh Ho!.... the human isn't all that hot a conductor, so the skin depth is a
LOT deeper than you think it is.  At 150 kHz, skin depth estimates range
from 30 to 95 inches!  Skin depth scales as the square root of frequency,
so at 1.5 MHz, skin depth is 3 to 9.5 inches...

Don't draw those sparks with your fingers!!!