Re: Fwd: Re: Calculating streamer breakout of top-loads

I wondered this myself,  If you have a source with say a fixed source
impedance and you vary the load impedance, then the maximum power transfer
is with the Zload = Zs.  However, if the load impedance is fixed and the
source impedance is varied, then the maximum power transfered is with Zs = 0
to get maximum voltage on the load.

I'm wondering in this case, if the coil impedance is dependent on its
inductance and Fres and to get a low impedance coil means to either reduce
the number of turns on the secondary or to lower the resonant frequency.
The former may be counterproductive.  The latter could mean a larger top
load and too could be counterproductive beyond a point.  I believe Terry
modeled each streamer as a 220K resister feeding a capacitance of 1 pf per
foot of streamer.  He had the entire system in the model (ideal sparkgap, TC
primary and secondary modeled as a transformer with primary inductance,
secondary inductance, coupling coefficient k, top load capacitance combined
with the Cself of the coil and varied the output impedance to maximize the
power to the streamer.  See his web page for details.  He effectively
thevenized the coil to determine the output impedance.

His streamer model is based on some experimental work that he is better able
to describe.

Gerry R.
Ft. Collins, CO