Re: Good News For My Finished MOT Powered Six Inch TC! But Nedd A Little Help Please!

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

So when you turn the power UP the spark length goes
DOWN? That is the classic symptom of poor quenching.
As the high voltage current increases, the RSG is
losing its ability to quench the arc--power arcing.
You think your RSG quenches by mechanically breaking
the arc? Think again. Your RSG rotor crawls like a
snail compared to the speed of a single
discharge/quench cycle.

I suggest you lose the RSG and build a sturdy sucker
gap from 1" copper pipe fittings quenched with a 10-12
Amp vacuum cleaner motor or a shop vac. With this type
of gap and only 240v/8A, I routinely got 5 to 6 foot
sparks from my 6" x 30" coil system. At 240v/28A, I
got 84" sparks, limited by the confines of my garage.
I'm sure they would have been longer if I had run the
thing outdoors. Alternatively, place a sucker gap in
series with your RSG and close down the RSG gaps a bit
to compensate.

Another idea--try it without any capacitive ballast on
the HV side. The two ballast caps and your tank cap
may be acting like a voltage divider, robbing your
tank circuit of peak voltage. Try running 240v side
inductive ballast only.

Good Luck,

Greg

=====