Re: Modeling and simulation

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/18/03 10:24:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "S & J Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

To all those who trust in Spice and the like,

The URL below is an interesting piece by Bob Pease (of National
Semiconductor fame) regarding how "helpful" modeling is ... or isn't.  I
would think his wisdom certainly applies to modeling of Tesla coils.

--Steve Y.

http://www.elecdesign-dot-com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5632

Hi Steve,
      Having retired a few years ago after 3 decades of modeling and
simulation, I could not agree more. Most models are completely
deterministic and therefore deny the existence of chaotic processes. of
which a TC is a prime example. While most of my work centered on
weather-driven and geographic distribution of energy demand over time, it
did involve dynamical systems that were non-linear to 8 or more dimensions.
=:0  To properly and with complete confidence use a simulation tool or
model, you first have to understand both the tool and the item being
modeled in such great detail that studying the thing directly is usually
less effort.
     I would have to agree with the person who said, "Simulation is the art
of pushing a dead mouse through a maze and carefully recording its movements."

Matt D.