Re: Primary construction

Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>

Oh... Well, there's nothing special about the primary wire either. The
connection to the caps is a fat red wire, with 1 or 2 mm of stranded wire in
the middle. The primary coil is around 22 gauge wire, nothing special. It
starts getting slightly warm after 20 seconds.

The topload, I mentioned, is the remainder of wire coming off the secondary.
It's roughly 6 inches long, wound around a 3/8" dowel rod as a form, coming
out to 7 or 8 turns. It seems to give the same results as the original copper
tube topload (1/2" pipe, ~2" diameter)

However, although people are telling me this thing is in fact in tune, I still
get absolutely no sparks exceeding 3 inches - ever. Do I need to connect the
bottom of the secondary to a spike hammered into the ground? Do I need to use
a "real" topload?

On Saturday 20 September 2003 09:19 am, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi MCP,
 >
 > Nice when you get things like that! But, the #32 is secondary wire. I was
 > curious about the primary wire and topload.
 >
 > Take care,
 > Bart
 >
 > Tesla list wrote:
 > >Original poster: The MCP <ejkeever-at-comcast-dot-net>
 > >Well, the wire I'm using is an interesting story... I got 8 rolls of #32
 > > gauge from mpja-dot-com to be used to wind a *load* of small electromagnets
 > > in an attempt to build a maglev. I ended up using, um... 2 of them. So
 > > I've got about 3 miles of wire, and I wanted to build a tesla coil! And
 > > I've *still* got almost all the wire I started with...
 > >
 > >Having this huge amount of wire available was one of the things that made
 > > me consider making little "play-thing" size tesla coils.
 > >
 > >On Friday 19 September 2003 06:47 am, Tesla list wrote:
 > > > Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>
 > > >
 > > > Hi MCP,
 > > >
 > > > 2 turns sounds about right with a slight topload (maybe a point or your
 > > > coiled wire?). Could you do us a favor and give more info as to the
 > > > wire type used for the primary? We are still not clear on what your
 > > > actually using. The topload would also be much needed data. This type
 > > > of data seems to be very limited from coilers (full specs with center
 > > > heights).
 > > >
 > > > Both John C. and I truly enjoy crosschecking against the programs. We
 > > > love doing it or we wouldn't. Your coil is pretty cool to run through