Re: Table-top mini coil contest update

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Whew. Just did the 5 minute run today. Keep in mind that although things
may be harder to break down at a lower voltage, this is ME that we are
talking about. I've fried so many caps... Anyway, the caps were not really
the thing that I was worried about the most. My transformer has had most of
the shunts taken out of it to make up for the fact that it's only a 3kv.
It's also very old and used already. I'm glad it held up though. The thing
that gave me the most grief was the spark gap. It got way too hot to touch
and immediately melted an ice cube down that I was using to cool it
afterwards. (Don't worry, it was completely unplugged and everything, and I
made sure to dry it to remove any deposits) But anyway, I made it! Now as
soon as I get an official reading on the current of my NST, (instead of
just estimates) I will enter it into the contest. It gets about 11 - 12"
sparks, and I still need to try it out on chicken wire.

Tesla l! ist <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
Original poster: "Steven Ward"

The 4020 france NST is tough! I did not sweat the 5 minute run and usually
ran that coil for very long periods of time. The NST does get rather warm
after 5 minutes, but its a transformer! Assuming you are using a nicely
rated MMC design cap or similar, the 5 minute run is no problem really. At
4kv it seems that very little can break down. My coil stayed consistent
for the 5 minutes, no problem. Good luck!

Steve Ward

-Chris