RE: Grounding of negative lead on SSTCs

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Dan and Malcolm,

Stupid question of mine, sorry :)

A quick review of the stuff I have been dealing with in the last 5 years
revealed:
- SMPS input stages with rectified AC mains: can't ground those because
are "hot"
- laboratory power supplies (kind of): as you were describing, must be
left floating to provide flexibility of use
- stuff that is transformer-isolated from AC mains but grounded
elsewhere at some utility point
- devices with 2-wire mains supply (HDSL modems) that have nowhere to be
grounded to (no PE connection).

I realize now that grounding the DC negative have really never been an
option for me :)
But this discussion led me to find a circuit part in Thor's new "Timer"
card that was left floating between two optoisolators. That is, the HV
measurement input is optoisolated, commands the Timer board that, in
turn, drives through optoisolators the H-bridge boards. Got to ground
the DC-negative of the Timer board and see if I get less problems in
there.

Yes, still working on programmable burst sizes, already seen shorter
streamers produced by shorter bursts...

Best Regards