Re: Double Wound Secondary

Original poster: "chris swinson" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 1:09 AM
Subject: Double Wound Secondary

 > Original poster: "WIZZARD ." <pbobyk-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > I am just completing a 10.25" by 45" ( winding length ) secondary with
 > number 20 wire. ( British and AWG confuses this Canadian )
 > I am wondering if double winding the secondary, one winding over another
is
 > a good idea.
 > Im sure someone has tried this.... any ideas?
 >
 > WIZZARD
 > Dwight, Ontario
 > Canada

I tried it a fair few years ago and found it basically to be a bad idea. The
problems are that each turn on one layer will end up inbetween turns of the
previous layer and you end up with all kinda of voltage arc problems. You
can't get the frequency the same for each layer either which further messes
it up. I went as far as to try a 4 layer coil and I hardely got any output
at all with it.  I myself plan to try litz wire as soon as I can find a good
deal on the type im looking for. I think this will work though IMO I dont
think its worth the trouble, would be easier to use thicker wire ;-)

Chris