Re: Foil wound pancake secondaries.

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

At the scrap yard, I came across a nice roll of 2 thou. thick 1 inch
wide copper strip,(0.05mm*25mm) and so a nice foil wound pancake
secondary would be possible to make.
I imagine that oil impregnated paper from cash registers would do as
insulation. Even with 2thou thick insulation it is possible to make a
1000 turns coil that is only 8 inches (200mm)in diametre.
Drive it from the H.bridge and get some interesting results.

I`m not sure I understand this right, but I imagine that the turn to
turn capacitance will be much greater in a coil like this, if so, how
will it affect the performance of the coil.

Cheers, Finn
  the person who might best be able to advise you is Jeff Behary.  He has
built several of these pancake coils.  maybe once rolled, entombing it in
wax or perhap some type of potting material would help.   as for the self
capacitance,  would that not just lower the resonant frequency?  perhaps
using several layers of the paper would help lower the inter turn
capacitance a bit.
Mike