Re: nobody knows whos maggie at fla teslathon?

Original poster: "D&M's High Voltage" <DMsHV.DavMcKin-at-verizon-dot-net>

Colin, All,

I apologize for the delay.  I've been out of town most of the last 3 weeks
and the few days I was here between trips I was too sick to respond.

I would like to thank Shad for his excellent answers and then fill in the
rest of the answers to all of your questions!

Base coil (Black one in the pictures):  12" diameter wound 32" (48" form)
with 12 Ga. heavy build magnet wire for approx. 360 turns.  Painted black,
and then lightning bolts were airbrushed on.  Original run was at the 2002
teslathon when the paint was still wet - worked fine!

Magnifier (Tertiary coil on the plywood base):  12" diameter wound 42" (48"
form) with 18 Ga. heavy build magnet wire for approx. 930 turns.  One of the
pictures is of me (5' 11") standing next to it on top of the platform.

Toroid:  20" x 72" chicken wire mesh with 24 sections to help make it smooth
as possible.  One of the pictures of me repairing it after our tarp beat it
half to death on the trip up to Pensacola.  Next year all of our stuff will
be crated!

We started running the coil at approx. 35-40 amps and then raised the
current level to approx. 75 amps (made the sparks a bit hotter which you can
see in the last 5 pictures of it).  The primary is an adjustable primary
(1/2" tube with approx. 9 turns spaced 1" center of tube to center of tube,
inner diameter approx. 15-3/4").  I think it finally tuned in somewhere
around 6 turns or so.  We had it very loosely coupled (approx. 6" total),
and then started increasing the coupling (by raising the primary approx.
3-1/2").  We had to back off the coupling because the arcs from the terminal
pretty much went straight to ground and didn't do much - this is shown in
the 4th picture down from the ones in which people were standing in the cage
(we never did get it "fully coupled").  Also, the 4" of corona all around
the plywood circle (unfortunately, not visible in the pictures) and the
smoke coming off the base was too much.  So we wound up with most of the
"runs" fairly loosely coupled at approx. 75 amps (~18 KVA) - unfortunately,
quite a bit of lost power.

For overall height reference:  In the pictures on Ralph's website, there is
a 12 foot ladder that I'm pushing next to the coil for size reference (a 10
foot aluminum ladder is on the other side of the coil).  Also, a couple of
pictures down from that one you can see how low the toroid is sitting on the
coil (the bottom of the toroid is approx. 4" below the top turn of the
secondary - explanation to follow).

As far as a magnifier "design" - these coils were designed to be ran alone -
not in a magnifier "mode."  So if they hit one of the "sweet modes" it's
pure luck - not design.  We did the magnifier setup for several reasons.
One was to add quite a bit of inductance to the system so that we could run
"LTR" with a big toroid.  Another reason is so that we could make really big
sparks without them hitting the base and blowing something up (like the srsg
motor).  Lastly, is so that we can run a lot of power into a closely coupled
coil without having to worry about racing sparks at the bottom of the
secondary coil (such as in a standard setup).

Next year we're going to raise the secondary another 2-4 feet on top of the
platform and put a corona control ring (connected to the bottom of the
secondary) around it.  The magnifier coil didn't have a long enough
connection rod to properly set the height of the toroid so it sat really low
on the coil.  So we're going to raise the toroid and put a corona control
toroid on top of the magnifier secondary but underneath the large one.  This
is to provide corona control to prevent flashover down through the middle of
the coil.  We're also going to make a primary that is closely coupled to the
base coil.  Lastly, we're going to raise the capacitance to 400 nF, and add
one of our Variable Reactors for precise current control while the coil is
operating.

I'll be adding pictures to our website and making CDs with all the pictures
and movies from the teslathon as soon as I can.  I'll post to the list when
these are done.

As a heads up for next year - we're planning on having it on Labor Day
weekend again next year.  So make your plans to attend early!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

David L. McKinnon
D&M's High Voltage