Re: New to tesla coils

Original poster: Bart Anderson <classi6-at-classictesla-dot-com>

Hi Dan,

I second David's comment on spar varnish. I once lived in Minnesota and
wanted something that would handle temp changes. Spar varnish remains
flexible and has a hard rubber feel to it. It coats on thick and is easy to
build a nice coat. It should be noted that should your coil be setup in the
garage and your wife decides to open the garage door, and should the back
of the garage door knock the coil over for a major drop to the ground, the
coating will be damaged. The coat actually peels aways. Repairing a damaged
area isn't a big deal.

One other bit of info is that some coils seem to build up a static charge
which coilers have received a few good jolts from. I've never had this
occur. I've used card board, pvc, and acrylic form types and have always
used the spar varnish. I highly suspect the outer coating is the major
contributor to this phenomenon (there have been long discussions on this in
the past). Spar varnish is quite different than most coatings as far as
it's internal composition.

When I wind coils, I mount end caps to the form and mount the form
horizontal. My workbench is fitted with a low speed dc motor which drives
the coil. Even if a motor isn't used and you simply hand turn the coil,
mounting horizontally really helps in the winding process. A counter is
also nice so you know each turn. I usually just set up a prox sensor to
drive a mechanical counter and mount a metal flag to the end cap which
triggers each pass over the prox. After the coil is wound, I apply the spar
varnish with the coil setup in this fashion The motor spins nice and slow
while the coat is applied. I then let it turn at a very low speed all day
before another coat. I lightly sand between each coat. I continue this
until I build up a nice smooth coat. The sanding must be very light. It's
real easy to sand through the coat and actually sand off the wire
insulation. This isn't a big deal, but will create shinny areas within the
winding. For small coils, all this isn't necessary, but sometimes it's
helpful to hear what others do.

Take care,
Bart