Re: Toroid Height

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 9/26/03 9:57:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>Hi Ed,
>
>Sounds like you need to go to a larger diameter secondary to prevent sec to
>pri strikes.  I'm building an 8x36 inch coil with 1.8Kva power source.  I
>hope sec to pri strikes will not be a problem.
>
>Gerry R.
>Ft Collins, CO
>
> > The secondary winding length is 27.6", of #22 wire.  The bottom turn of
>the
> > secondary is just even with the top plane of the secondary.  It runs at 5
> > kva to 7 kva using a 14.4 kv 5 kva transformer.  Primary capacitance is
>.05
> > ufd using a synchronous rotary gap.
> >
> > Ed Sonderman

Gerry,

With the two toroid system, I am not having problems with primary strikes
any more.  I could definitely use a larger toroid on top.  It breaks out at
one third to one half power on the variac.  I probably need an 8" or 9" by
35" or 40".

Ed Sonderman