RE: Primary to primary sparking?

Original poster: "Ian McLean" <ianmm-at-optusnet-dot-com.au>

Hi Chris,

I may be wrong, but I thought the rubber used in tires and tire tubes was
somewhat conductive because the black colour is made by adding fillers to
the rubber such as carbon black.  I believe rubber can also contain other
metallic oxides such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide as reinforcing
agents.  Might this be a problem ?

It is just that I have not heard too much about using rubber as insulation
for high voltages, and it seems that it is usually bad to use anything that
is black.

Regards
Ian