RE: phase conversion/ alternator research

Original poster: Harvey Norris <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Original poster: "David Thomson" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>
 >

 >  > Original poster: "Virtualgod"
 > <mike.marcum-at-zoomtown-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  > Might try finding a 400hz version. Usually less
 > than half the
 >  > weight (maybe even 1/4) for the same kW rating.
 >
 > That's exactly what I have.  It's made by Leland
 > Electrosystems Inc and is
 > new old stock military surplus.  Now that I look at
 > it, I remember someone
 > telling me that it needs capacitance between the
 > legs.  Maybe with my new
 > test equipment I can calculate the capacitance?
 > I'll take a look at it.
 >
 > Dave
Large Capacities as loads have the effect of
resonating with the Stator Z(int) value. The operation
of the device with no field input, (A parametric
alternator) can be enhanced by making the capacitive
load X(C) value equal to the int X(L) found on
shorting the outputs. This typically would require a
huge capacitance, I calculated something like 250 uf
per phase for my small AC converted auto alternator.
Even at 40 uf, I obtain a 50% rise in parametric
output voltage. The AC parametric output effects can
also be recycled back for rectification to field to
obtain a self energized field, however every instance
where I have tried this has resulted in a runaway
field magnetization and alternator overload from the
stator-field feedback loop. A zener diode control of
input field voltage seems feasible for harnessing this
effect, aint got there yet... But in other effects I
have noted by using Maximum Energy Transfer
Resonances, (METR), the alternator can output large
amperages WITHOUT the stator cores getting hot!

This seems to be due to the fact that in maximum
energy transfer, the I^2R heating losses of the coils,
SHOULD equal the heating losses of R(int), which is
the condition for maximum energy transfer from R(int)
to R(load). Now the METR spirals of only ~2.7 uf use
44 uf -at- 480 hz for resonance, but they are at the .6
ohm R value close to the stator R(int) value. Say we
are conducting 5 Amps, this is 15 watts heating loss
for .6 ohms. Now the energy stored in 44 uf would be
by .5CV^2, but first V must be known. Because of METR
losses; typically 8 stator volts will enable a current
of 5 amps, with a Q factor of 5, meaning 5 times the
source voltage is found in the resonance, or 40 volts
given the 8 volt input. So .5CV^2 using 40 for V gives
.0352 joules, being transfered 960 times per second
yeilds 33.8 watts energy transfer. The energy transfer
between fields then is actually over twice the  coil
and alternator heating losses. The energy transfer
between fields "represents" the borrowed and returned
energy from the source, and this is twice the amount
of "real" energy being extracted. In these
circumstances, the heating of the alternator stator
seems remarkably less  then what should occur if the
loads were instead the equivalent resistances that
would enable the observed currents. To make sure of
these facts I just did a 5 minute test run with phase
amperages near 10 amps -at- 18 volt stator,(135 volts
across opposite phases) ~ 29 A total, stator heating
was neglible, finger pressed tightly to the midpoint
stator core. Had to stop when a RS meter for stator
line blew its 20 A fuse, lucky that was a fused
connection, some meters have no fuse for larger amp
ratings, and the meter at least got hot here!
HDN