Re: Maxwell AC vs. DC ratings & failure modes

Original poster: "Scott Hanson" <huil888-at-surfside-dot-net>

Mike -

Earlier today, replying to an inquiry on Maxwell model 37667 capacitors, you
wrote: "Nope, they usually fail at 15kV".

The wording "usually" seems to imply that you have experienced multiple
failures with these particular capacitors, and that you were carefully
monitoring the peak voltages in the circuit at the time the capacitors
failed.

Can your provide some additional information on the following:
1. How many of these capacitors have you personally had fail at 15 KV?
2. Was this 15 KV RMS or 15 KV peak-to-peak?
3. What was the total inductance in the circuit the capacitors were
discharging into?
4. What leads you to believe the capacitors failed from overvoltage rather
than overcurrent?
5. Did you perform a post-mortem of the failed capacitors to see if they all
failed in the same manner?
6. If yes, what were the results of the failure analysis?
7. Are the "blown" capacitors available for examination?

(Pardon me if any of this indicates an degree of skepticism, but we never
did get any response to requests for further information on your Tesla coil
directly powered by the 90 KV X-ray transformer, or your giant Jacob's
ladder that generated 17 foot arcs.)

I have a personal interest in these capacitors, as I have four of them that
I intended to use in a small bipolar-twin coil setup. If anyone has any
VERIFIABLE information about failure modes or breakdown susceptibility of
these capacitors, I would be very interested in reviewing the data.

Regards,
Scott Hanson