Re: square coil '

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Gary  Weaver" <gary350-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >
 > Square coils have been built and it will work.   By the natural laws of
 > physics a magnetic field travels in a circle or in a curve not in a square.
 > I have seen pics of squares coils that appear to work fine.  I am not sure
 > if anyone has ever built 2 identical coils one being square and one being
 > round to compair if one works better than the other.

The magnetic field would not change much about the square turns, but
the electric field around the coil would become concentrated at the
corners, producing corona along the edges of the coil with much smaller
voltages than with circular turns.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz