Re: Oscilloscope arrived - black market sucks

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>

All,

It would be great if someone knows of a book which is
still in print that would be good for the hobbiest
without formal scientific training to learn the
various techniques of measurement using the
oscilloscope.  I think maybe Tab Books has something,
but I can't seem to remember the author or title.  I
would like the book myself.  I have a Tek 922R, and a
Lectrotech scope, and I've figured out how to do quite
a bit from experimentation, this list, and common
sense.  I use my scope for ham radio, TC work, and
prototyping my own circuits.  The analog scopes(which
both of mine are) can even be useful to a limited
extent for digital signals...provided the frequency of
the data is within the capabilities of your scope.
I've used my 922R to help me "see" that a data stream
is on the proper pin of an IC in some of my modern pll
based digital scanners...it can be really useful even
if your scope technology is analog.

-Brett

PS:  Also, remember that besides ebay, hamfests are a
great place to find a potential bargan on oscopes.
Even at the small town fests, there will be one or two
oscilloscopes.  I went to one yesterday in Cleveland,
TN and there was a descent BK Prescision dual time
base scope.

The same rules as ebay apply however...a lot of
guys/gals really are trying to turn a profit with
their stuff, but then there will always be people who
don't know what they have and you can really get a
deal.  The important thing is to do your research
first and know the used value of what you are
purchasing and test before buying when possible.
Sometimes they will have them powered up and running
at the hamfests, which is a plus.