Re: Maxwell AC vs. DC ratings

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Gerry,

I'm reminded of Mac vs PC or Linux vs Windows debates...  :^)

It's actually very simple - it's up to the designer to understand the specs
for the caps he uses in order to apply them properly. Most commercial pulse
caps were initially designed and specified for use in Pulse Forming
Networks (PFN's) since that's where MOST of them ultimately end up.
Capacitors within a PFN normally see relatively little ringing. Commercial
pulse caps have a maximum DC voltage spec and a Percent Voltage Reversal
(%VR) spec. For most pulse caps the %VR is 10-20% of the rated DC voltage.
This means that the peak-to-peak voltage swing for one of these caps in
your Tesla Coil tank circuit should not exceed 110-120% of the caps maximum
DC voltage.

You can find commercial caps that are specifically intended for high-Q
ringing and RF applications such as previously offered Condenser Products
Tesla Caps and Plastic Capacitors' BNZ series. However, the dielectric
systems in these caps is proportionately thicker and the physical size of
the caps is proportionately larger than pulse caps typically used in PFN's.

Since the overwhelming majority of surplus pulse caps came out of PFN's
used in lasers, radar, LINACs, or pulsed X-ray systems, it's quite natural
for these caps to have low %VR ratings. Many inexperienced Tesla Coil
builders mistakenly assume that they can charge these caps to their full
rated DC voltage, and they wonder why the caps prematurely fail.

It is ultimately up to the Tesla Coil designer to appropriately derate
their capacitor so the dielectric and metals systems are kept within their
design specifications. In the high-Q oscillatory environment of a Tesla
Coil this simply means that the maximum peak discharge voltage should be
limited to ~50-60% of the pulse cap's rated DC voltage. This is not new.
It's how capacitors have been specified for at least 70+ years. And, this
derating also applies to new pulse caps that use "self healing"
metallization systems as well.

Does this mean that commercial caps are "more fragile" than MMC's?

No.

While commercial pulse caps shouldn't be overvolted, most pulse caps can
easily handle repetitive peak currents that would cause severe heartburn or
even vaporize the leads in an MMC array. Since MMC's can be cooked by
excessive current, does this mean that MMC's are "more fragile" than
commercial caps?

No.

It really affirms that ANY cap, including MMC's, must be used with a clear
understanding of its voltage and current limitations so that, in your
intended application, you can obtain the desired design life.

I suspect that one of the main differences between an MMC and a pulse cap
is that snubber capacitor manufacturers know that their intended
applications can be fairly oscillatory. If this is the case, they'll "build
in" more design margin by using a somewhat thicker dielectric system than a
comparably rated DC or PFN cap. By keeping the maximum voltage just below
the point of corona inception (even under large voltage reversals), and by
using self healing metal systems, they create a robust little cap that
doesn't require the degree of voltage derating necessary for a typical
pulse cap... as long as you don't cook it with excessive tank current. :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP
Technical Books. Stoneridge Engineering -- http://www.teslamania-dot-com