RE: HV Voltage Dividers

Original poster: Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs-dot-com

Hi Dan,

 > You probably responded to the wrong address.  I recently changed to
 > dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com

You must be right :)

 > Anyways, for PSPICE i used resistors and capacitors which included the
 > parasitic inductances and capacitances in each.

Yes, so which components? Or how did you gather those parasitic
component values?

 > PSPICE will give you a ballpark idea of how the thing will work.
 > Also, yes, you can replace various components to get a perfectly flat
 > network.

I am not talking about _replacing_, I'm taking about _removing_ your
compensation network and leaving simply the divider network but with the
capacitors correctly calculated. It gives already a flat response, no
compensation required.

 > However, in the real world this isn't the case.  Once you
 > build the divider,
 > you will need to use a network analyzer, or similar and get the plant
 > response of
 > the entire unit, and then recalculate compensation values.
 > Its a lot of
 > trial and error and its the same way for the professional
 > vendors as well.
 > Even the epoxy used in these things greatly affects the
 > frequency response.

That's precisely what I mean! You show the freq. response flat as from
your PSpice simulation, not as measured with a network analyzer. So we
get back to my question: what did you use to model the parasitic RLC
components? How did you gather those?

If you used MicroSim you could even mention the library component name.

Best Regards

P.S. This is not a critic, I'm just curios to learn how you did develop
the probe because I need myself similar ones.