Re: Plasma Balls with C60

Original poster: Jerry Chamkis <jchamkis-at-bga-dot-com>

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 07:37 pm, Tesla list wrote:

 > It's a simple allotrope of carbon, just about as toxic as carbon itself,
 > graphite, or diamond. Some russian medical site stated LD50
 > 1000..1500g/kg, meaning you'd have to chunk down LOTS of it. (Although
 > toxicity hasn't been researched in much detail yet, apparently. Compounds
 > intentionally trapped inside the C60 sphere can be toxic, though.)
 >
 > http://www2.electrochem-dot-org/cgi-bin/abs?mtg=205&abs=0583&type=pdf
 >
 > btw, here are more infos for the DIY approach:
 > http://www.creative-science-dot-org.uk/design.html

See  http://www.iht-dot-com/articles/512473.html

Possible health risk found in carbon particles

Buckyballs, a spherical form of carbon discovered in 1985 and an important
material in the new field of nanotechnology, can cause extensive brain damage
in fish, according to research presented at a national meeting of the
American Chemical Society in Anaheim, California.
.
Eva Oberdoerster, an environmental toxicologist at Southern Methodist
University in Dallas, said Sunday that the buckyballs also had altered the
behavior of genes in liver cells of the juvenile largemouth bass she had
studied.

<more>

[I think it's a reprint of a NYT article.  The carbon is harmless enough but
it's generally a bad idea to introduce very small particles into the lungs as
they cannot be expelled.  If I understand correctly, the Fullerenes pass
through cell membranes almost like a fluid and cause mischief in the organs.]
--
Jerry Chamkis
jchamkis-at-bga-dot-com