Re: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I built a coil based on this design when I was about
13. I had access to the original book, which was
buried in the stacks at my junior high school library.
I should have stolen that book and paid the fine for
"losing" it (sigh). Anyway, you don't need to build an
induction coil. The alternatives are many. You can use
a small neon sign transformer. You can use an oil
burner ignition transformer (OBIT). You can use a
modern car ignition coil ballasted with a motor run
capacitor and driven by a 120v dimmer switch.

The simplest spark gap is a couple of 1/4" brass bolts
set in L brackets. Use smooth brass acorn nuts for
electrodes.

Cheers,

<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm

<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm

 > . I really would find it a tremendous help if you
 > could point out a way
 > which I could operate the Tesla coil without the
 > necessary use of the
 > Induction Coil in a manner comprehendible by my
 > newbie self. What is the
 > most simple (and preferably cheap) spark gap design
 > I can use?
 >
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Greg

=====