Re: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 4/13/04 9:55:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Greg McCoy" <gemccoy-at-nbnet.nb.ca>

Hey, I'm just starting out on my Coiling "career" if you will, and I've
decided to keep it extremely simple by following the plans you see on the
following website:
<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind2.htm

. Now I'm reasonably far on my way to completing the Tesla Coil on this
page for a school project/my own interest, but It's come to my realization
that it seems to require the secondary induction coil on this page:
<http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm>http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind1.htm

. I really would find it a tremendous help if you could point out a way
which I could operate the Tesla coil without the necessary use of the
Induction Coil in a manner comprehendible by my newbie self. What is the
most simple (and preferably cheap) spark gap design I can use?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Hi Greg,
This is a "classic" 19th-century-type Tesla coil, designed to be
battery-powered, since AC power was not yet available. Many rural areas did
not have electricity even in the late 1950s, when this book was written,
hence to induction coil power supply.
     You can use an Oil Burner Ignition Transformer (OBIT) in place of the
ignition coil to start with. Just use a line cord and switch in place of
the battery, although adding a Variac to control the input would be desirable.

Good Luck,
Matt D.