Re: Flyback Driver PCBs

Original poster: "Eastern Voltage Research Corporation" <dhmccauley-at-easternvoltageresearch-dot-com>

Jim,

Don't take this the wrong way.  But you seriously don't need to use the 2 oz
copper especially if it drives the cost up much.
If its not much more expensive, than okay.  PCB board traces are sized (both
cross-sectional area / copper weight) based on
the requirements of "how much the copper will heat up", and "how much IR
loss there is."  Since you are only making a small
board, you will not have long traces which will have high resistance.  Also,
you will not see any significant heating of traces with
the type of circuit you are running.

Another suggestion is to not use traces to connect your power portions of
the circuit at all.  Simply use copper planes to connect
all components ensuring of course you have the maximum amount of voltage
stand-off between area fill planes.  This will greatly
increase the current carrying capability of your circuit, and eliminate the
need for using 2 oz copper.

Dan