Re: Components from ebay

Original poster: Jan Wagner <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Tesla list wrote:
 > Original poster: "Rajesh Seenivasan" <rajeshkvs-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 > I have a question regarding the components sold at ebay...
 > I saw few IGBTs on ebay. The description said that those were removed from
 > working equipment and are UNTESTED. Are those components reliable ? Will
 > they really work ? I'm planning to use them for my SSTC work.

First check how old the IGBTs are, really old ones don't switch fast
enough (<20kHz) but might just tackle it in an OLTC.

Second, see the ebay seller's ratings, could give some hints about whether
he typically sells junk or not.

Third, if the components were removed from "working" equipment but
"untested", this means you could expect that most of them WON'T work.

Better to look for ebay items with batches of say 5-20 components,
unused, legs/pins not soldered, surplus parts. Or if used, at least the
seller should guarantee "tested and working".

A prime example for components which are highely likely to be in
functional condition:
  http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3809624713
or
  http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&3809469767

cheers,
  - Jan

--
  Helsinki University of Technology
  Dept. of Electrical and Communications Engineering