From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 5:45 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Hi,

So folks offer MMCs and toroids...  But no "motor grinders" out there!??  I
know just the motor itself is like $100 new, but some people just don't
have the shop skills or tools...  It is a fairly trivial thing to people
that know what they are doing to grind, adjust, and test 1/4HP nice sync
motors "for sale".  Those of us that have many, will never sell "ours" ;-))

Bill Wysock offers the entire sync gap, but his rock solid pro machine
prices are a little high for little guys.  For just the motor, you go out
and buy or find the usual 1/4 HP motor, grind the flats with a grinder,
shim the shaft if needed, be sure it is not terribly out of balance, and
maybe test it with a strobe as if anything could go wrong ;-)).

After I finish my present giant project, grinding iron sounds relaxing
;-))  But not for a few weeks yet...

Ok, I guess I am just a little surprised this cool part of Tesla coiling is
not a "buy off Ebay" (or anywhere else) part!!!

Cheers,

          Terry