Re: Sync Motor Wanted

You are correct -- they are not salient pole.

The good news is --- it doesn't matter.  You turn the RSG on and bring your
variac up to 30%.  If the sparks are not long at 30% you just flip the RSG
motor power on and off once or twice (seldom takes more than twice to sync).
My point is you can easily tell the sync point and for some unknown reason
they always sync with a few flips of the power switch.

The entire procedure takes about 1/4 the time it took you to read this.

We use a lot of them on small and medium size coils up to 5 kVA and they
work good.  I found out there's no need to mess around with a strobe.  Your
eye can immediately tell at a lower power setting if they are in or slightly
out of sync.  They always are approx 45 degrees off if not in sync.

In short --- they work great and only require 5-10 sec to sync up by
flipping the power on/off switch.

We use a 7 inch dia rotor with 4 pcs of 5/16th inch tungsten rod x 1.25 inch
length pressed axially into the phenolic rotor.  Rotor is 1/4 inch thick.

Dr. Resonance