Re: Sync Motor Wanted

Original poster: "John Richardson" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi Jim,

Everyone considers the SRSG to be the cat's a** in coiling, especially when
used with NSTs.  I'm not sure I agree with that entirely.  I think that the
performance of a WELL designed static gap will come close to SRSG
performance at lower power levels, ie NST power sources, therefore negating
the time and money to build a rotary that you probably don't have the
machine tools to build properly in the first place.  First light for a 12/60
coil a while back yielded 40 plus inches with a 4 gap Cu pipe gap, and I've
read of people running rotaries that have trouble hitting that mark.  I also
think that NSTs may be safer with a static gap, helping to eliminate
possible misfires and timing issues that can take out a trans.  In fact,
after I have the bugs worked out of my SRSG coil, I'm going to spend the
time to build a quality tungsten static gap, and make some comparisons
utilizing same secondaries, power source, etc.

After having procured a suitable power supply, my next gap will be an ARSG,
as I like the idea of making comparisons of varying break rates vs. output.
The sound is really wicked, it gives you another knob to play with, and
looks like more fun in general.  I'm sure opinions may vary.  If you've
never heard one in action, contact Terry Blake and see if he as any more
RATCB 2002 CDs for sale.  Not only some good video, but cool audio of asynch
gaps running on different coils.

John Richardson