Re: First light for my 3 inch coil!

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hello Eric.

Hearing from your MOT trouble makes me almost as disappointed as you might
be seeing your PSU fail.
Especially as there is no reason for it to fail. A properly designed MOT-PSU
is almost bulletproof.
If you saw it ark over do not try over again, it will only do more demage.
I suggest to very accurately remove the carbon tracs and restore insulation
with pu-varnish.
Then make a "huge" 20 bucks investment in a plastic container, a board with
some castors for easy transportation and a sufficient amount of the cheapest
oil you can get hold of, we do not want additives here. Real xformer oil is
not too pricy either.
Submerge the trannies and you will never see arcing over again.
I know there are some unsubmerged MOT psus out there but this depends a lot
on the specific
transformers, air humidity and a lot of other things. If you choose a good
container the result should not be
too messy, though not really something living room compatible, iukwIm ;-)

You may want to have a look at how I did this:

http://www.luebke-lands.de/tesla4.html

This is pertty crappy and far from optimum, but works very reliable, even
with 6 MOTs

This way you will have a supply with more power than you will probably ever
need.....

Best regards

Christoph Bohr