Re: Simple Spark Gap Designs

Original poster: Gregory Hunter <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Your question is a bit of a puzzle. A single jar can
probably tolerate several thousand volts without
puncturing. Instead of messing around with jars, I
suggest you use one or more beer bottles. Cover the
outside with foil, and use strong saltwater for the
inner plate. A plastic champaigne cork makes a perfect
stopper. A single 12oz bottle will yield 750-900pF. A
six-pack in parallel is good for 5nF.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/bottles.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/bottle.htm

Cheers,

 > Original poster: "Greg McCoy" <gemccoy-at-nbnet.nb.ca>
 >
 > Ok. My only other question is: if I am using the
 > Leyden jar seen here:
 > http://home.houston.rr-dot-com/molerat/ind3.htm and an
 > NST, how many jars would
 > I need approximately per, say, 1 KV.