Re: interesting way to make 3phase power

Original poster: "Richard Modistach" <hambone-at-dodo-dot-com.au>

hi aprit,

in regards to a)
mots step up to around 2000v
to generate solid state 3 phase, and
the power you'll be pulling, will require components and circuitary out
of your price range and experience,
why do you want 3 phase power anyway?,
your talking about pricing a 50A single phase line.
what type of power supply\transformer are you runnng
for your coil.?

in regards to b)
be careful when talking about "alternators"
i only clicked that you were talking about
"automotive alternators" after reading your
post a few times,
i thought initially you were talking about 3
single phase alternators. :)
the ideas about using a car are novel but
impractical.

you could always get a surplus 3 phase generator,
they're around and cheap and hook it to a motor,
it will need to be governed, otherwise as soon as a
load comes on the
frequency and voltage go down, big time.
or better still just buy a second hand genset.
they cost but they also have resale value.

i'm not sure about where you live but residentual single
phase lines here used to be 45 amp but have been 80
amp for quite a while now. it you get a 50 amp outlet
installed right next you meter box, weather proof
if necessary, it may be a lot cheaper than having it run
somewhere, then just run an extension lead to wherever.
tesla coiling if done properly and with pride is not a
cheap sport, it's no good complaining about the cost,
you either bite the bullet and get on with it or back off
and settle for something less, there's nothing more i'd like
than to have than a 18" coil pulling 150 amps, i'd also
love to have a big house on 10 acres of land with a few
top of the range cars and 4wd's in the shed.
horses for courses.

for simplicity, praticality and economics i'd be going for
the 50A hookup to the fuse box.

if you got any other questions PM me and i'll try and
help you through them.

regards
richard
aus