Re: Capacitor Question??

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Dave,

The difference is due in part to the when the caps were manufactured versus
the given state of the art in capacitor technology. There was a period of
significant evolution in capacitor technology during the late 80's and
90's. Much of the effort was focused on increasing capacitor energy density
(i.e., how to squeeze more joules into a smaller package) and reliability.
This culminated in the evolution towards much thinner, more highly stressed
dielectrics combined with self-healing metallization systems.

Although it was known that the thinner dielectric system would experience a
higher incidence of dielectric failures, with the thinner metallization
systems, these failures would no longer be catastrophic. The gradual loss
of capacitance over time was manageable. In fact, when the capacitance
declined by ~5%, it was a useful and easily measurable predictor that the
time had come for capacitor replacement, The GE PFN caps predate much of
this development. So why is the GE cap relatively small? I suspect they
used a Mylar/high-k oil dielectric system with a significantly higher k
than polypropylene.

Best regards,

-- Bert --