Re: The search for "old style" flybacks...

Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2-at-yahoo-dot-com>
 >
 > People can argue about this until they are blue in
 > the face, but it doesn't matter.  Someone with good
 > scrounging ability can find anything they want, and in
 > any quantity they want.  I wonder how many on this
 > list have never been to a hamfest before?  At the
 > large ones you can find any electronic component
 > imaginable, and of any vintage...usually at decent
 > prices, lower than you can find on ebay, where a lot
 > of people are wanting to make a quick buck.  I drove
 > around the suburbs looking at trash piles for a couple
 > of hours in 2001 and found about 4 TV's and 3
 > microwaves.  I got voltage multipliers (Cockroft
 > Walton), nice flybacks, and a ton of MOT's.  All I had
 > to do was lift the old TV's into the back of the
 > truck.  There were even Black and White TV's.

	Around this part of Southern California getting rid of the bones after
you've picked off the meat is much harder than scrounging the stuff in
the first place.  All is considered "hazardous waste"  [eco-insanity but
that's another matter] and you can't just throw it in the trash can!
Easier to buy the parts from someone who has solved that problem, and
probably just as cheap if you place any value on your time.

	Of course, that way you lose the thrill of treasure hunting.  I really
like going through junk yards but have to resist the temptation to bring
stuff home.

Ed