Re: Machining

Hi Gerry,

High speed steel is a relatively cheap hard tool steel used for most
ordinary purposes.  It cuts wood plastic and other easy materials
well.  The bits can bend so they are very durable for say hand drills.  The
steel is tempered so if they overheat they are softened and ruined.

Tungsten Carbide is a very hard material and can cut hard materials like
glass, rock, stainless steel...  It is pretty heat resistant and will not
de-temper.  Difficult to sharpen and it is usually braised to a steel
backing.  It weakness is that it is very brittle and can crack easily.  It
is often used in wood working tools where cracking is not a big problem
with the soft wood.  Very expensive compared to steel.  In our case,
carbide tools stand up to FR-4 phenolics very well where tool steel dulls
fast.  Almost all printed circuit board drilling and routing is done with
very high speed tungsten carbide tools.  Carbide is often used in metal
working lathes where a small tool edge can last a long time in a well
controlled situation without being subject to impact damage.

Cobalt alloys are super hard like carbide but less likely to shatter or
break and not terribly expensive.  But when they do, the are almost
explosive and send shrapnel all over the place.  Cobalt actually gets
harder as it heats to about 500F.  Cobalt cutters and drills are used where
cutting very hard materials is needed and the cutter has to take some abuse
without breaking.  It can be used in hand drills and is popular with
machine tools.  It has high wear resistance and is difficult for a normal
person to dull.  Sharpening really isn't an issue since the tool is
probably worn out buy the time it dulls.  They do fatigue over time so best
to replace them on time.  When I cut 6-4 titanium with cobalt tipped
blades, the blades do not dull but the teeth eventually fall off.

Titanium-nitride is that gold coating you often see on tools these
days.  It structure is supposed to be harder than diamond.  It is vacuum
deposited in a thin coating rather than a tool material.  It mainly helps
chips slid off the flutes.  Nice for say soft aluminum, titanium, copper,
and other materials that like to stick to and gum up tools.  It also adds
corrosion resistance and holds cutting oil.  It can be thought of much like
the coating on Teflon cookware in its function.  Since it is so hard, the
coating is super durable.  Even my most used cutters just show small wear
of the coating at the very cutting edges.

I think the best bang for the buck is Ti-N coated Cobalt.  It is strong and
the tools will last a very long time.  You do have to be a bit gentle with
them but they will not dull and they can cut anything from wood and
plastics to titanium and stainless steel alloys.  6% aluminum - 4 %
vanadium - 92% titanium alloy will easily over heat tools do to the very
poor thermal conductivity, likes to grab and gum tools, and is super hard
(designed to defend against high-velocity bullets...).  Ti-N Co tools are
just about the only thing that can touch it.  Otherwise it is ECM,
waterjet, and plasma torch...

With all the hard alloy tools, safety glasses are NOT optional!!  They can
all shatter very violently!!

Cheers,

         Terry