Eastern Air Devices Sync Motors

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi All,

For those that have the 1/20 HP Eastern Air Devices hysterisis sync
motors.  I have noticed with mine that they run hot.  I have a
solution!  Wicks Aircraft Supply has a engine oil filter heatsink.  This
heatsink has a 3 5/8" bore and two lengths available, 3 5/8" and 4
5/8".  From the website it also comes with a couple of hose clamps to
secure it.  Part numbers are CC109 for the 4 5/8" length and CC110 for the
3 5/8" length.  Price is $32.99 for each model.  With a little heatsink
grease these should keep those motors running cooler.

Also, these motors do work with the J.F. phase controller.  With the motors
4uF run cap, 7.5A Powerstat 116, and 40uf cap, I can get about 45 degrees
of shift before the votlage drops the motor out of sync at around
50-60V.  I am looking at increasing the cap size, as the peak seems to be
at the start of the windings for the variac.  They are a bit of a pain as
they don't always come up right, but seem ok once they get dialed in.  They
also seem not to sync right away with the phase controller.  It takes about
a second or two to run up and lock.

David E Weiss