Re: Magnetic Polarity Re: Magnetic quenching.

Original poster: davep-at-quik-dot-com

(we may be getting too far OT ????)
(An earlier version of this message escaped before completion.)

 > It was common in the older books to refer to the "north-seeking pole"
 > of a compass needle, which is not ambiguous.

 >  Of course, this is the south pole of the needle.

    Is It?
    Has this been checked?
    Every test and detailed reference i have seen is that the
    North Seeking pole of a needled (or other magnet)
    Is (by definition) a NORTH MAGNETIC pole.

    (It follows from this that the North Geographic Pole
    of the Earth is (currently....  8)>>) a SOUHT MAGNETIC
    POLE!!!)

    (I suggested a test via an eklectromgnet/solenoid because
     this allows creation of a DEFINED North (and South)
     mag poles, based on current flow and winding
     direction....)

 >  I wonder if the original designation of north
 > came about because most navigation was done in the northern hemisphere
 > where Polaris was commonly observed to indicate north?
     Possibly.  At least for Euopeans.  The South Sea Islanders
     might have differing views...  8)>>)

    best
     dwp