Re: Star Tak 2.5 HP var. speed DC motor

Congrats on your great find.  It works best to make up a separate pillow
block mount with a shaft through your RSG.  Then you can also use different
pulleys to explore a complete range of pps.

We have done this with a lot of different size coils and usually somewhere
between 350 and 480 pps will give you the best looking sparks with good
range of distance.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913

 > I just scored a 2.5 HP Star Tak variable speed permanent magnet
 > DC motor (treadmill duty) off of ebay ;^) When it arrived, I rushed
 > to Radio Shack to pick up a few 400 volt, 8 amp FW bridge rectifiers,
 > soldered two of them in parallel together and plugged them into my 120
 > volt/20amp variac. This motor is so well made and has no visually detect-
 > able shaft end play whatsoever! It's about 11 1/4" long, w/out the
 > couple of inches of 5/8" shaft that sticks out of each end of the mo-
 > tor. The motor body is about 4 1/2" in diameter and even has a
 > 4-bolt mounting foot. I have very good speed control of it with the
 > variac and can run it to as slow as less than 30 RPM all the way
 > up to the max rated 3500 RPM. The max amp armeture amp draw
 > is 17.5 amps at 130 volts input but with no load on it, it draws less
 > than 2 amps at max variac setting (140 volts AC).
 >
 > Anyhow, I was thinking that this would make an excellent motor
 > for an ASRSG for that GIANT Tesla coil that I someday hope to
 > build ;^) Any comments on the suitability of this motor for that
 > purpose from any of you big asynch coilers are welcome ;^))
 >
 > David Rieben
 >

 > If the link still works, it can be viewed at:

<http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3830069744&ssPageNa
me=STRK:MEWN:IT>http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3830
069744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT