Re: But how do they do it? (Was: Re: New Maxwell on ebay)

Original poster: DRIEBEN-at-midsouth.rr-dot-com

Greg,

I think it has to do with the vacuuming down of the
dielectric/foil sandwiches and the clean dust free
environment in which commercially manufactured HV
caps are produced in. With the dielectric so vacummed
to the foil, there is very little space for air pockets
that lead to corona formation and ultimately, dielec-
tric failure. Also, they series multiple thin layers
of dielectric/foil instead of one thick layer. This
tends to allow for less corona formation and more E density.
The ratings that a commercial cap manufacturer as-
cribes to a capacitor is highly dependent on the applica-
tion for which it is designed, too (i.e. a filter grade
cap rated at say 50 kV -at- .1 uFD will be considerably
physically smaller than a 1000 pps pulse rated cap
with the same 50 kV -at- .1 uFD rating). The rugged pulse
rated cap will require more total dielectric thick-
ness for the same voltage rating than a more fragile
filtering (or low pulse rep, for that matter) cap.
And of course more dielectric thickness also requires
more dielectric surface area to maintain the same
capacitance rating. Finally, some of the most modern
capacitor designs appear to be able to combine rugged
high pulse rep rate with a relatively compact size (ultra-high
energy density) and the exact processes by which this is
accomplished may very well be regarded as trade secrets.

David Rieben