Re: New Maxwell on ebay

Original poster: "Sean Taylor" <sstaylor-at-uiuc.edu>

Scot,

Voltage is a huge factor in lifetime of a pulse cap - something like a
fourth power.  If you seriously derate the voltage of the cap (which it
sounds like you are doing) it will last MUCH longer.  Also, I don't know
exactly where you're getting the numbers for your total capacitance, but
keep in mind that if each cap is different, you'll end up not sharing the
voltage evenly!  The voltage reversal is related to the Q of the system,
and there is a formula to determine one from the other, but I can't
remember it, is was posted a while back.  Typically, though, a TC gives a
cap a near 100% voltage reversal.  The reason that the Maxwell caps survive
this is the voltage underrating.  The VR rating is kind of like an AC
rating vs. DC rating.  If you don't use the cap to the full DC rating, you
can get away with much more voltage reversal.

Sean Taylor
Urbana, IL