RE: Designing High-Gain Triple Resonance Tesla-Transformers

Original poster: "Day, Michael" <Michael.Day-at-USPTO.GOV>

It would appear that obtaining coupling coefficient of
0.6742, and 0.7156 may present a formable problem.  These
coupling coefficients appear unusually high as compared to
the coupling coefficients that I have seen quoted by the
average coiler hobbyist.  Does anyone on this list have
any experience(s) in obtaining comparable couplings that
they would be interested in sharing?

To date, the only resonant transformers that I have seen having
such high coupling coefficients have been of the spiral strip
design that include inner and outer ring cages to shape the
electric field in the margins of the transformer.  (See, for
example, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. NS-26, No.
23, June 1979, pp4211-4213.)  What is not clear to me in the
spiral strip design is how the ring cages are connected.  That
is, are the ring cages connected to their respective inner and
outer winding?

Are there designs, other than the spiral strip design, that
can provide such high coupling coefficients, and is there a
preferred design?

Mike Day

<snip>

(See the optmag program in http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/programs).
The 1:2:3 mode, for example:
The coupling coefficient for the complete energy transfer case is
0.6742.
Multiplying C1 by 2.134 and changing the coupling coefficient to 0.7156,
the voltage gain is multiplied by 1.21 at the second output peak.
It's possible to obtain even more, but several peaks away.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz