Re: Tesla Coil For Rocky Horror Picture Show

Original poster: "Harold Weiss" <hweiss-at-new.rr-dot-com>

Hi Randel,

Considering the show, I would go for a mushroom shaped topload.  He he he!

I have had problems with ETC Sensor racks around my coil.  It seems that the
RF gets into the lighting battens and sets off all sorts of dimmer error
messages at the console and tends to ghost the lights.  I was having coil
problems at the time so it was probably out of tune due to the strike cage
proximity.

A coil onstage will require a lot of room to operate safely.  For a 5' arc,
you will need 5' of clearance all the way around the coil, so you are
looking at a 13-15' diameter area.  As actors are like children, a strike
cage should be used to keep them safe.  Chicken wire and copper pipe will
work for this.  A roof on the cage would help cut down on RF getting into
the lighting.

Power requirements would be probably 240V at around 50A.  Most theatres will
have 208V 3 phase 400A company switches for lighting and 200A isolated for
sound.  Try to get an isolated box and ground away from sound and electrics,
or else you will drive them nuts with noise.  Sound probably won't like
being on the same service xfmr as electrics and will need an iso xfmr.  If
not possible, a ground rod will have to be driven outside the venue for the
coil.  I have also had problems running a SRSG on a different phase than the
xfmrs for a coil.

There should be a restriction placed on audience seating, with no one with
medical devices allowed within 20' of the front of the stage.  I have fought
with theatres on this every time I put on a Frankenstien production.

Get hold of KVA Effects as they can be helpful also.  Is this show going to
tour?

David E Weiss
IATSE  Stagehands Local 470
N.E. Wisconsin

 > Original poster: WrightScenic-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > Greetings,
 >
 > I am designing the settings for a production of The Rocky Horro Picture
Show.

 > I would like to feature a giant Tesla Coil in Dr. Frankenfurter's Mad
 > Scientist Lab.
 >
 > I've joined your mailing list in hopes of finding someone in the Dallas,
TX