Re: Designing High-Gain Triple Resonance Tesla-Transformers

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq-at-uol-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Day, Michael" <Michael.Day-at-USPTO.GOV>

 > Most solenoid coils that I have seen having such high coupling
 > coefficients appear to be vulnerable to HV breakdown at the final
 > turns of the secondary windings.
 >
 > The spiral strip transformer, on the other hand, produces
 > uniform voltage grading through the thickness of the secondary
 > winding.  The equal potential lines outside the windings, however,
 > bend sharply around the edges of the thin winding conductors
 > creating highly enhanced electric fields which results in electrical
 > breakdown.  The function of the ring cages is to maintain the coaxial
 > field distribution across the margin which is nearly parallel to the
 > uniform field throughout the thickness of the winding.
 >
 > The outer cage appears to be connected to the primary turn.  FIG. 7 of
 > U.S. patent No. 5,079,482 provides a clear illustration of an outer
 > cage.  It is not clear to me how an inner ring would be connected.

This patent is very interesting. Has even a calculation method for the
inductances and mutual inductances. The code that I have can reproduce
the primary inductance correctly, but can't simulate the secondary
coil... Something to update.
There is an outer cage connected to the primary coil and an inner
cage connected to the center of the secondary coil. (For who didn't
see the patent, the transformer uses a single turn primary coil and
a flat secondary coil inside it, both wound with flat strips.)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz