RE: where to get dielectric oil? =

Hi,

This Ebay guy has been selling oil for years:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4660&item=3833810451

I would worry about contamination...  Transformer oil and the use it goes
into needs to be very clean and free of water.  Big substation transformers
go through a dramatic oil drying and cleaning process (two big semis full
of equipment)...  But if the thing is clean and you heat it say in the sun,
that should be fine.

Transformer oil is free of light solvents and other odd oils that might
attack insulation and such over time.  It also has a controlled dielectric
constant with is sometimes important to the HV industry.  So it is better
than just any oil if the application is really demanding.  Testing it with
high voltage first is a good idea if it is really being pushed hard.

Cheers,

         Terry