Re: Diode Strings

Original poster: "Richard W." <potluckutk-at-comcast-dot-net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 7:42 AM
Subject: RE: Diode Strings

 > Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 > The reverse voltage seen by any diode (or diode stack) in a bridge
rectifier
 > is equal to the DC output voltage, ie 1.4 times the RMS AC input voltage.
 > The reason is that when one diode is conducting, the voltage across it is
 > "negligible" therefore the whole DC output voltage must appear across the
 > other diode on that side of the bridge. (If you draw the diagram you can
see
 > that the two diodes are in series across the DC bus.)
 >
 > So if you're making a rectifier to have 40kV DC output, your diodes must
be
 > rated at least 40kV PIV each. Preferably 1.5 to 2 times more for safety.
 >
 > Steve C.

OK.
Then to rectify 15kv or ~22Kv RMS and to have a X2 safely margin I may as
well put 50 diodes in each leg since I have them. I'll be ordering more
components from the same source and can get more diodes for just a few
bucks. Heck, I wouldn't be against 60 diodes per leg if that's something
that would help my peace of mind and it would certainly be cheap enough to
do IMO.

Thanks!!

Rick W.
Salt Lake City