Re: Diode Strings

Original poster: "S&JY" <youngsters-at-konnections-dot-net>

Steve C. Is correct - I was wrong.

If one draws a bridge rectifier and, for a given half-cycle of operation,
you replace the two conducting diodes with
wires, then it is easy to see that the remaining two diodes are in parallel
and reverse biased by 1.4 RMS AC input voltage.   For a 14 KV pig, that is
about
20 KV PIV across each bridge leg.  A factor of 2 safety factor then requires
40 diodes per leg.  60 per leg would be very conservative.

Here is more diode wisdom, from the ARRL Handbook for Radio Amateurs.
Because the rectifier never allows current to flow more than half the time,
when it does conduct it has to pass at least twice the average direct
current.  With a capacitor-input filter, the rectifier conducts much less
than half the time (only when the supply voltage is more than the capacitor
voltage), so that when it does conduct, it may pass as much as 10 to 20
times the average DC current.  Two useful diode rules of thumb are 1) The
maximum repetitive pulse current rating can be assumed to be about 4 times
the steady state rating, and 2) the maximum surge rating (e.g. when supply
is first turned on and charges the filter cap in a half-cycle) can be
assumed to be about 12 times the steady current rating.  Good information to
know when choosing diode current ratings.

There is a lot of practical information, applicable to coilers, to be found
in the Radio Amateur's Handbook.  Used ones show up on Ebay and other used
book sites.

--Steve Y.