RE: splicing magnet wire

Original poster: "Steve Conner" <steve.conner-at-optosci-dot-com>

 >If I go this route I will have
 >one splice at about 1/3 the winding length. Would it be better to place the
 >splice near the bottom or the top of the coil?

I think if you have a choice it's better to put the splice at the bottom
(lower voltage)

I have a mini coil with a couple of splices, one at 2/3 height (broke the
wire while winding) and another (repair after a flashover burnt clean
through the wire) at 1/3 height.

I have run this with enough energy to flash over the secondary from top to
bottom and neither splice seemed to cause trouble. I think if you splice the
wire neatly, leaving no pointed ends sticking out, it should be all right.
You might want to insulate it with heatshrink.

Steve C.