Re: NFPA 70E Training outcomes - Part II

Original poster: Sparktron01-at-comcast-dot-net

Hi Jim, All

 > Original poster: "Jim Lux"
 >
 > Who was the training offered by? NFPA?

Training was given by Lewellyn Technologies.

<http://www.lewellyn-dot-com/>http://www.lewellyn-dot-com/

I've had many training courses over my career (30+ years), and this one
ranked in top 5 in regards to relevancy, and allowing me to perform my work
(Professionally and with Tesla Coils) safely.

<<SNIPPO>>

Additional comments:

1.  Do not wear jewelry around electrical appartus.  One true event that
was discussed was a worker was performing maintenance on 2.3kV PFC
capacitor bank, necklace popped out and hit one phase (1.3kV - G).  Leave
to your imagination the consequences...   :^C

2.  I'll go further and say don't wear rings or watches around LV high
current sources either (batteries, high power DC power supplies); severe
burns or possible electrocution could occur with surprisingly low
voltages.  There is some antedotal evidence that GI's were killed in WWII
working on 24VDC electrical systems (feet in foxholes full of water,
sweating like pigs in tropical environment).

Here are additional links of interest pertaining to NFPA70E...

<http://www.coleparmer-dot-com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?from=INDUST&htmlfile=fluke_electricalsafety.htm>http://www.coleparmer-dot-com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?from=INDUST&htmlfile=fluke_electricalsafety.htm

Reprint from Fluke on Electrical safety, interrelationships of NIOSH, CDC,
OSHA, NFPA, IEEE et al.  Pay particular attention to info on meter ratings,
arc/flash information.

<http://pieperpower-dot-com/pieper/arc_flash.html>http://pieperpower-dot-com/pieper/arc_flash.html

The business end of a confined arc/flash - electrical explosion in a medium
size junction box.

<http://www.nepss-dot-org/presentations2003/arcflash_NFPA70E.PDF>http://www.nepss-dot-org/presentations2003/arcflash_NFPA70E.PDF

Addition general info on NFPA70E, and additional info from IEEE1584 on
motivation and design issues with '70E.

Be safe out there.

Regards

Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS, Chesterfield, VA. USA