Re: LTR cap BPS?

Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds" <gerryreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi black moon (even white, blue, and harvest moons),

JavaTC has two LTR values,  one for SRSGs and one for static gaps.  The
static gap LTR is around 1.6 * Cres for your transformer.  This value will
give you about 100-120 BPS if the gap breakdown is set to Vpk of the NST.
The BPS prediction in JAVATC for static gaps is based on computer
simulations that I did and probably should be considered a "loose"
approximation.  The basis for the 1.6*Cres was originally 120BPS and also
has the benefit of limiting resonant rise.  It also should be realized that
the firing of a static gap is somewhat chaotic due to transient responses in
the charging circuit due to the gap firings (easy to see with a simulation)
and any breakrates can be obtained by changing either the gap setting and/or
the Cp value.  It doesnt necessarily lock onto 120 BPS.  With a given design
and gap setting you often will get some half cycles that do not fire and
other half cycles that fire multiple times,  You can also get periods of
time where only the positive cycle (or negative) will fire.

Last time I checked, JavaTC predicted 100BPS for a Cp = 1.6*Cres with gap
setting as described above (ie, Vsg set to Vpk of the NST, ie
1.414*Vs_oc_rms).  If the gap setting is larger than this, a lower BPS will
result and a larger than Vpk of the NST rating could result due to resonate
charging and transient effects.  If the gap setting is smaller than this, a
higher BPS will result.

Cres (nf) = 10^9 / (2*pi*line_freq*XL)
XL ~= Vs_oc_rms/Is_sc_rms
pi  ~= 3.1459